Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Seas Too Far To Reach

I go through phases of listening to albums quite obsessively. A current obsession is Black Sheep Boy by the Austin-based Okkervil River – I’m a sucker for the novelistic scope of their lyrics and I’ve been aching to see them play live for a while now.

I got that opportunity on Monday when they played Cargo in London. The Gin Soaked Boy and I went along, though I suspect they’re more my thing than his – they have this literary quality that, perhaps predictably, appeals to me hugely.

They didn’t quite live up to my expectations, the intricacy of the songs got lost a little bit in a live setting, but there was an endearing, rough around the edges energy to their performance. I could however have done without the sub-Couplandian spoken interlude that frontman Will Sheff crow-barred into the proceedings. Still they played A Stone, which is one of my favourites, a quite beautiful piece of song-writing. I read a review somewhere that described these songs as “stories of people trying to find out if they need each other,” and that, I think, sums them up more eloquently than I could have.

We didn’t stay until the end, which is a shame as I’d quite like to have seen how they brought things to a finish, but the Gin Soaked Boy was practically asleep on his feet and I’m less keen on waiting around for the last train now that I’m 9-to-5ing it again.

My rather ponderous review of Black Sheep Boy is on display in the usual place but, fear not, I shan't repeat it here.

4 comments:

Richal said...

In the modern age there are several people keto charge plus who are looking for ways and means to lose weight. The reasons could be to enhance self esteem, look young, stay fit, keep health problems away etc.

Richal said...

If you are making your own weight loss plan, keep in Slimlinic Keto mind that its success lies in you. You need enough motivation and determination to stick to your weight loss plan.

Richal said...

The Body Mass Index can be used by your doctor Green Vibe Keto and/or dietitian to figure out your general weight health based on your sex, height and weight and is associated with the measurement of body fat.

Richal said...

Most of the cookbooks do not adhere to Super Cut Keto proper food combination and break the law of adding protein, starches, and sugar, just like McDonald's.