Monday, June 25, 2007

A Perfect Sunday

And no, it’s not actually theatre-related. Instead Lisa and I went along to the Billy Wilder double bill at the Curzon Mayfair: Double Indemnity followed by Sunset Boulevard, it doesn’t really get much better than that.

I’ve not been to this particular cinema before, so was delighted to discover it has the most impressively 1970s interior I’ve seen in a while. Low ceilings and lots of orange and brown, almost oppressive – yet something about it rather chimed with my intermittent longing to live my life like a character in a Woody Allen film.

We followed the double-bill with a long ambling walk through the streets of Mayfair before ducking into a pub for a gin or two. Wonderful.

Now does anyone know where I can buy some black soap?

PS. Do nip over to the Whingers' site, where there's an interesting discussion in progress about the AA Gill attack on theatre critics in this week's Sunday Times. Oh, and there's a brilliant riposte from Andrew at The Arcades Project too, which sums it all up nicely.

No comments: